Columbus Urban League hands out 1,000 free coats
Courtesy of ABC6 WSYX/WTTE
December 21, 2020
By Mary Smith
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) — Hundreds of Columbus families will be a little warmer this winter thanks to donations made to the Columbus Urban League.
The organization handed out 1,000 coats Monday, just in time for Christmas. The Urban League estimates about 300 families took advantage of its free winter gear drive.
Its CEO, Stephanie Hightower, said it was also a way to connect families with other resources.
“We also want to capture their information. Do you need a job? Do you have housing issues? Do you need food? And we want to be able to then direct them to those other services throughout the community to help them get through the covid pandemic,” Hightower said.
The one-day drive wrapped up Monday afternoon around 4 p.m.
- Columbus Urban League April 21 statement on the death of Ma’Khia Bryant
- Columbus area leaders, activists applaud Chauvin conviction, cite need for more changes
- Columbus Urban League April 20 statement on Chauvin verdict
- COVID-19 strained Franklin County finances, but no tax increases in the works
- CBF Morning Run: What you need to know today and watching Buckeyes behaving badly