Pioneered by former Mayor Michael B. Coleman and former City Councilman Kevin L. Boyce, the African American Male Initiative (AAMI) began operation in August, 2007. Currently in its 8th year of operation, the AAMI remains a primary part of the Columbus Urban League’s mission to empower members of our community with life changing strategies designed to improve their quality of life.
By focusing on these initiatives, AAMI has maximized its ability to impact a large percentage of the urban African-American community and effectively impact the complex social barriers that contribute to disproportionate rates of incarceration and recidivism, juvenile delinquency, alcohol/substance abuse, inadequate parenting, low graduation rates, and exponentially higher unemployment rates that economically affect the City of Columbus and central Ohio.
Father 2 Father
The Father 2 Father Program is designed to assist Men with becoming the responsible, nurturing and instinctive Fathers they desire to be, while also, educating the general public on the essential role Fathers have in the development of their children. The program serves Fathers of all ethnic/racial groups, though recognizes that the disproportionate need in urban centers will provide a major constituency for our work.
Father 2 Father offers assistance in the following areas:
- Parenting Skills
- Parental Rights - Access / Visitation
- Child Support Management
- Parent/Child Engagement
Choose 2 Change
The Choose 2 Change Program is designed to support the reintegration of Restored Citizens (ex-offenders) into their local communities, support the reduction of prison recidivism, and contribute to efforts designed to improve public safety. We view these citizens as the 21st Century’s Un-Tapped Workforce and are poised to support their successful reintegration through stabilization. The Choose 2 Change program helps restored citizens develop successful reentry strategies for self improvement and change.
- Case Management for life coping skills/barrier removal
- Assistance with Driving Privileges or License Reinstatement
- Letters of Recommendation/Advocacy
- Employment Options
- Customized Child Support Modification and Custody Assistance
- Referral to Additional Community Resources within the first 30 days
An Alcohol and Drug Prevention Program.
Neighborhood Violence Intervention Program
- Comprehensive approach to reducing Violence
- Conflict Resolution, Mediation and Peace Treaty development
- Decreasing Conflict between Law Enforcement and the Community
- Mentoring Young Men and Women to avoid the pitfalls or violence
- Connect/Reconnect Youth with Education/Employment opportunities and resources
- Open to youth ages 14-23 involved in gangs